Dr Ong is one of the main oncoplastic breast surgeons who manages breast cancer in Sydney & Australia.
He works in the South Western Sydney Local Health District (SWSLHD) Breast Oncology service which sees >200-250 new breast cancers in Macarthur a year. He is a member of the breast oncology clinical team and is involved in the multidisciplinary management of breast cancer patients. He is listed as a Specialist in the Cancer Institute NSW. He is a member of BreastSurgANZ and participates in the society’s national audit of breast cancer outcomes. Dr. Ong worked as a surgeon at BreastScreen NSW and is regularly involved in the treatment of screen-detected breast cancers.
He performs oncoplastic breast surgery utilising techniques such as round-blocks, intra-mammarian advancement flaps, Grisotti flaps, latissimus dorsi flaps, therapeutic mammaplasty, mastopexy, breast reductions etc.
Dr Ong contributes to the care of breast cancer patients in Macarthur through the following initiatives:
- Acquisition of a wireless sentinel node probe – the Neoprobe. Narrower targeting means potentially smaller incisions and less dissection of tissues.
- Dr Ong partners with plastic surgeons to offer a range of breast reconstruction after cancer surgery.
- First surgeon to setup on-site hookwire services at the public hospital. Breast cancer patients do not have to travel between different sites which can reduce stress and anxiety on the day of surgery.
- Introduction of oncoplastic surgical techniques for treatment of breast cancer.
- First surgeon in Macarthur to utilise patient-controlled Aeroform AirXpanders© for oncoplastic breast reconstruction following mastectomy. Aeroform is a revolutionary implant that expands without the need for painful needles or regular visits to the surgeon’s rooms.
High-resolution ultrasound scans are conducted by Dr Ong in his private rooms to assist with diagnosis and management of breast diseases.
Dr Ong is passionate about the holistic care and quality management of patients with breast cancer. Newly diagnosed breast cancer patients can often be seen in the same day or within 1-2 days of their diagnosis.
Call (02) 4610 7944 to book an urgent appointment.