Dr Ong is one of the main oncoplastic breast surgeons who manages breast cancer in Sydney & Australia.
He works in the South Western Sydney Local Health District (SWSLHD) Breast Oncology service which sees >200-300 new breast cancers in Macarthur a year. He is a member of the breast oncology clinical team and is involved in the multidisciplinary management of breast cancer patients. He is listed as a Specialist in the Cancer Institute NSW. He is a member of BreastSurgANZ and participates in the society’s national audit of breast cancer outcomes. Dr Ong worked as a surgeon at BreastScreen NSW and is regularly involved in the treatment of screen-detected breast cancers.
He performs oncoplastic breast surgery utilising techniques such as round-blocks, dermogladular advancement flaps, skin-sparing mastectomy, Grisotti flaps, Latissimus dorsi flaps, therapeutic mammaplasty, tissue expanders, mastopexy, breast reductions etc.
Dr Ong contributes to the care of breast cancer patients in Macarthur through the following initiatives:
- Acquisition of a wireless sentinel node probe – the Neoprobe. Narrower targeting means potentially smaller incisions and less dissection of tissues.
- Dr Ong partners with plastic surgeons to offer a range of breast reconstruction after cancer surgery.
- First surgeon to introduce next generation real-time tissue perfusion monitoring (Stryker’s SPY) to oncoplastic breast surgery.
- Introduction of oncoplastic surgical techniques for treatment of breast cancer at Campbelltown.
- Lead clinician for breast oncology Model of Care in Macarthur/SWSLHD.
High-resolution ultrasound scans are conducted by Dr Ong in his private consulting rooms to assist with diagnosis and management of breast diseases.
Dr Ong is passionate about the holistic care and quality management of patients with breast cancer. Newly diagnosed breast cancer patients can often be seen in the same day or within 1-2 days of their diagnosis.
Call 0246107933 or email to book an urgent appointment.