Thyroid & Parathyroid
Dr Ong is an endocrine surgeon in Macarthur and Sydney. He manages patients with endocrine problems who potentially require surgery. Examples include:
- Thyroid cancer
- Multinodular goitre (thyroid with many lumps)
- Retrosternal goitre (thyroid dipping into the chest)
- Graves disease (“the angry thyroid”)
- Toxic nodular thyroid (“the angry thyroid lump”)
- Thyroiditis (inflamed thyroid)
- Swallowing or choking symptoms
- Calcium imbalances from parathyroid gland enlargement (adenoma)
He is a member of ANZ Endocrine Surgeons and his goal is quality management of the thyroid and parathyroid surgical patient. High volume endocrine surgeons have been shown in studies to produce better outcomes for patients requiring thyroid and parathyroid surgery.
Acheivements in endocrine surgery for Macarthur:
- Establishment of an endocrine surgery outpatient service at the public hospital.
- Acquisition of a state-of-the-art nerve monitor for Campbelltown hospital. The monitor enables safer surgery and allows complex endocrine surgical cases to be carried out.
- Establishing a quality 4D CT service with i-Med radiology for work-up of parathyroid patients locally.
To make an appointment with Dr. Ong please call (02) 4610 7944